Monday, February 14, 2011

In the new home

So we have finally made it to our new home. Of course, just as we are wrapping up the move-in process, the real work starts. Garlic and green onions have to go in this week! I need to get the rest of my seeds, clear my plot, perhaps construct a hoop house; there is a lot of stuff to think about when you get right down to it. And doing this all while completing my dissertation!

Yet, I felt this was something that must be done. If we are realistic about what it means to live sustainably, (which I equate to self-sufficiency) then we will begin to equip ourselves with the know-how to live closer to the land and closer to our neighbors. I have spent so much time studying agriculture from an academic perspective. I wanted to actually live it; to experience what it takes for a food-lovin city slicker to take on the title of farmer/chef.

Fortunately, I have had some experience in the past few years working on an organic farm at Washington State University. So it is not all new to me, but before, it was a team. Now, it is just me and my family. Second, I have no formal cooking experience, just a whole bunch of people telling me to cook more! I have no food preservation experience, but we are going to make an attempt to store food, make salsas, jams, kraut, whatever.

It will definitely be work, and most certainly, a learning experience for us all.

No comments:

Post a Comment